To spread the original, universal and eternal truth, path or law of yoga, which remains forever the same in essence, yet always adapts to the time and place.
Pick what you like from the following steps of the waking up process (and why not all) :
1. Upon awakening one hour before sunrise, immediately sit up in your bed.
2. Check through which nostril your breath is flowing more strongly.
3. Observe the lines in the palms of your hands. Rub the fingertips with your thumbs in a circular soothing rhythm (right clockwise circles, left anticlockwise circles). With the fingertips rub the palms. Then turn the right wrist clockwise and the left wrist anticlockwise. First kiss the palm of that side of your body where the flow of breath is stronger, then kiss the other palm. (Kissing confers energy. By kissing your palm, you give your best vibrations to your most effective tool for self-expression.) Rub both hands together and move the palms slowly over your face, covering head, shoulders, arms, and legs, creating an energy shield which wards off negative influences for the whole of the day. You may also learn this protection mantra that belongs to this simple but effective morning ritual :
KAR AGRE VASATE LAKSHMI
(in the front part of the hands, i.e. the fingertips, lives Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth)
KAR MADHYE CHA SARASVATI
(in the middle part of the hands, i.e. the palm, lives Sarasvati, the goddess of art and of learning)
KAR MULE VASATE GOVINDAM
(in the end part of the hands, i.e. the root or wrist, lives Govindam, Lord Krishna)
PRATAM SHUBH KAR DARSHANAM
(it is auspicious to see the hand in the morning)
4. Sit silently with an empty mind for a few moments.
5. Step out of the bed and touch the ground with the leg first that corresponds with the side of the body where the breath is flowing dominant (check nostrils!).
6. Urinate or defecate or vice versa depending on the nostril activity, without staying too long in the bathroom
7. Rinse the anus with cold water. Water is an electrical conductor and can never irritate sensitive tissues.
8. Wash hands thoroughly, wash face, rinse mouth and eyes with cool water.
9. Clean nose, teeth and tongue.
10. Make some faces in front of a mirror to get rid of early morning seriousness.
11. Take a short, slow walk in the fresh morning air.
12. Surround yourself with simple and soothing visuals, preferable white items, avoid all disturbing visuals and people.
13. Concentrate on some fresh and fragrant flowers with subtle colors.
14. Sit by a fire.
15. Relax - do pranayama until Sushumna is activated (the breath will flow simultaneously equally strong through both the nostrils). About 10 minutes before sunrise Sushumna is naturally activated.
16. Concentrate - do tratak exercise and clean the eyes afterwards.
17. Meditate with the eyes closed, center your energy in the heart chakra or at the third eye.
18. Do some physical morning excercises.
19. Massage your body with oil on lunar days, i.e. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
20. Bath your body from top to toe while humming.
21. Comb your hair with a wooden, silver or gold comb.
Related video : Full Class - A Daily Yoga Rhythm (100')
Sanatan Society is an international networking association of students of the late Harish Johari, joining efforts to promote his teachings of yoga philosophy, tantra, worship, art and love. Sanatan Society stands for the original, universal and eternal truth, path or law of yoga. Though it is Hindu in origin, Sanatan Society is not limited to any religion, race, time or country, nor in fact to any particular organisation. More about Sanatan Society...