ACCORDING TO THE THOMAS GOSPEL
7. Jesus said, "Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human. And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human."
Mind (the lion) is in bliss (lucky) when absorbed by the self (eaten by the human, Man). Then mind loses its animal nature and really becomes human (the lion becomes human) by only serving the self. However, if mind believes it can take control of the self (the lion eats the human) and takes its place as the ego - mind becomes impure (foul). However, there is no escape from the self as the essential "I" is the self, so mind (the lion) will someday again recognize the self and re-identify with it (still will become human).
20. The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us what Heaven's kingdom is like." He said to them, "It's like a mustard seed, the smallest of all seeds, but when it falls on prepared soil, it produces a large plant and becomes a shelter for birds of the sky."
Enlightenment (the Kingdom of Heaven ) comes through absolute onepointedness, to become smaller than the smallest of atoms (the mustard seed), also called the power of anima in Hinduism. When this onepointedness which is obtained through meditation exercise, occurs in one who is ready to drop the last karmic impressions and thus any remaining ego (falls on prepared soil), an enlightened being is created (produces a large plant), which provides shelter to everyone, including more subtle beings of light (the birds of the sky). Heaven's Kingdom descends on Earth in the presence of an enlightened being.
27. "If you do not fast from the world, you will not find the (Father's) kingdom. If you do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath you will not see the Father."
To find the self and gain enlightement (the Father's Kingdom), one has to turn inside (fast from the world). To have the power to turn inside, the mind must be exercised by a variety of "fasts", which remove past addictions. Such fasts must happen regularly, which used to be organized by religion through regular spiritual festivals (like the Sabbath). The ones however who observe such religious duties without truly respecting their essential fasting nature, who dream of pastries while mouthing their prayers to god (do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath), will not see any spiritual progress (will not see the Father).
28. Jesus said, "I took my stand in the midst of the world, and in flesh I appeared to them. I found them all drunk, and I did not find any of them thirsty. My soul ached for the children of humanity, because they are blind in their hearts and do not see, for they came into the world empty, and they also seek to depart from the world empty. But meanwhile they are drunk. When they shake off their wine, then they will change their ways."
When a true spiritual teacher like Jesus meets the world (appears in flesh), he finds people mind-drunk to stupidity (all drunk) by their worldly desires and attachments. They are not thirsty for the knowledge and the path that is on offer. This unending empty intoxication (came into the world empty and seek to depart empty, meanwhile they are drunk) and the lack of connection to the inside (blind in their hearts) may be somewhat saddening to the teacher (his soul ached). Only when his students may see the dissatisfying, empty nature of their attachments (shake off their wine), they may truly learn to control mind and the senses and turn inside (change their ways).
35. Jesus said, "One can't enter a strong person's house and take it by force without tying his hands. Then one can loot his house."
To destroy the ego (the strong person), one must remove all attachments or possessions (loot the house). To do that, mind must first be bound (tying his hands), brought under control.
53. His disciples said to him, "Is circumcision useful or not?" He said to them, "If it were useful, their father would produce children already circumcised from their mother. Rather, the true circumcision in spirit has become profitable in every respect."
To remove the veil of the body-mind that surrounds the self (circumcision in spirit) is always valuable (profitable in every respect).
98. Jesus said, "The Father's kingdom is like a person who wanted to kill someone powerful. While still at home he drew his sword and thrust it into the wall to find out whether his hand would go in. Then he killed the powerful one."
To find enlightenment (the kingdom) we need to kill the ego (someone powerful). In order to prepare for that, we first need to exercise and test our strength and mind-control (find out whether his hand would go in). Only then the ego (the powerful one) can be killed.
103. Jesus said, "Congratulations to those who know where the rebels are going to attack. [They] can get going, collect their imperial resources, and be prepared before the rebels arrive."
The thieves of our happiness are the desires (the rebels) that enter through the senses (where the rebels will attack). Continue on the spiritual path (get going), gather your strength (collect their imperial resources) and be prepared to fight them off in advance (before the rebels arrive) by shutting down sensory input.